A Guide to Cornrows for Men: History, Styles, and Maintenance
Hey there, fellow men! If you’re thinking of switching up your hairstyle without going too crazy, cornrows may be the perfect choice for you. They’ve been around for centuries, and they’re still stylish today. In this guide, we’ll cover the history of cornrows, different styles to choose from, and how to maintain them.
Cornrows have been a part of African culture for centuries. It’s believed that they originated in Egypt as far back as 3,000 B.C. They were worn by both men and women, and they were used to signify a person’s social status, tribe, or religion.
In the 1970s, cornrows became popular in the United States as a symbol of black pride and resistance to mainstream culture. They were even worn by celebrities like Bo Derek and Alicia Keys.
There are endless styles you can create with cornrows, but some of the most popular ones for men include:
1. Straight back – A classic style where the cornrows run straight back from the hairline to the nape of the neck.
2. Zigzag – A fun style where the cornrows zigzag back and forth from the hairline to the nape of the neck.
3. Mohawk – A bold style where the cornrows are only on the top of the head, creating a mohawk-like look.
4. Bun – A stylish style where the cornrows are braided into a bun at the top or back of the head.
Cornrows are low-maintenance, but that doesn’t mean you can neglect your hair altogether. Here are some tips for keeping your cornrows looking sharp:
1. Keep them clean – Wash your cornrows every two weeks to keep them looking and smelling fresh.
2. Moisturize – Cornrows can dry out your scalp, so make sure to use a moisturizer or oil to prevent flakes and itchiness.
3. Don’t itch! – Resist the urge to scratch your scalp. It can cause the hair to loosen and ruin your neat rows.
4. Get regular touch-ups – As your hair grows, your cornrows will start to look less neat. Schedule a touch-up every two to three weeks to keep them looking fresh.
Cornrows are a stylish and timeless hairstyle that can be worn by men of all ages and backgrounds. They’re not only fashionable but also culturally significant. With so many styles to choose from and easy maintenance, cornrows are definitely worth a try. So, what are you waiting for? Go ahead and rock those cornrows with confidence!
“What are the best products to use for maintaining cornrows for men?”
I don’t have any personal preferences. But there are few products that can be used to maintain cornrows for men:
1. Leave-in conditioner: It’s essential to keep the scalp moisturized, so applying a leave-in conditioner can help to prevent any dryness or itchiness.
2. Oil or serum: Using oil or serum can help to add shine and smoothness to cornrows. It can also help to keep the hair moisturized.
3. Edge control: Using edge control to lay down the edges and flyaways can help to keep the cornrows looking neat and clean.
4. Scarf or durag: Wearing a scarf or durag at night can protect the cornrows and prevent them from getting frizzy or messy.
5. Avoid hair products with alcohol or drying ingredients: These types of products can be damaging to hair and scalp, causing dryness and breakage.
It’s essential to pick the right products according to your specific hair needs and preferences for maintaining cornrows.